For e-commerce brands, the allure of SMS marketing is gaining traction due to its impressive customer engagement rates. The speed, immediacy, and effectiveness of text messages set them apart from other marketing tools. In this article, we'll explore why SMS marketing is impactful and provide a simple, four-step guide to kickstarting your SMS program.
Why SMS Marketing?
- Quick and Simple:
- Texts require no intricate design and feature concise yet powerful copy.
- With over 90% of SMS messages being read within 3 minutes, the immediacy is unparalleled.
- SMS stands out as a less saturated channel than social media or email.
- Revenue Generation:
- SMS marketing proves lucrative for retailers, directly contributing to revenue growth.
Starting Your SMS Program in Four Steps
1. Strategic Planning:
Utilize effective planning tools to shape your SMS program. Develop a clear strategy that aligns with your brand's objectives.
2. Gathering Customer Phone Numbers:
Building a robust list of customer phone numbers is crucial for a successful SMS program. Employ these methods:
- Include a phone number field on signup forms, offering incentives for higher response rates. Consider exclusive promotions or early access.
- Encourage existing customers to sign up via email offers, leveraging the loyalty of your current audience.
- Collect numbers during online checkout, ensuring transparency in the use of the phone number for order updates and promotional alerts.
- Obtain numbers at brick-and-mortar stores through physical signup forms, digital tablets, sales representatives, or QR codes.
3. Crafting Your First SMS Campaign:
Develop a compelling, relevant message for your first SMS campaign. Consider the following tips:
- Tailor your message to suit time-sensitive promotions or reminders.
- Segment your subscriber list for targeted messaging, ensuring that your content resonates with specific audience segments.
- Explore the option of integrating SMS with email campaigns for a comprehensive and effective marketing approach.
4. Tracking Campaign Results:
Monitor key metrics to gauge the success of your SMS campaigns. Consider metrics such as delivery rate, opt-in/opt-out rates, conversion rate, and click-through rate. Adapt your strategy based on SMS-specific reporting, gaining valuable insights into customer interactions.
5. Integrating Texts into Automation Workflows:
Enhance your marketing automation by seamlessly integrating SMS. Campaigns featuring SMS exhibit a 47.7% higher conversion rate than email-only campaigns. Examples include:
- Welcome series with follow-up SMS to encourage non-buyers to utilize promotional offers.
- Browse/product abandonment workflows, utilizing SMS to re-engage visitors who showed interest in a product.
- Cart abandonment series, leveraging SMS for reminders or incentives like free shipping.
Unlocking Sales Potential with SMS
SMS marketing, with its ability to drive engagement and boost sales, presents a myriad of opportunities for connection with customers. If you haven't embraced it yet, incorporating an SMS program into your marketing strategy, even at this stage, can yield impactful results. Global SMS outreach becomes a seamless component of your conversion-focused approach.